The membership of the Association is divided into Corporate Members, which includes Honorary Fellows, Fellows, Members and non-corporate members who are Affiliates, the grades of which are Associate, Graduate, Student and Companion.
Members may use the following abbreviations:
Student Member (StACostE)
Every candidate for election to the class of Student shall satisfy the Council that they are studying a recognised programme of formal education, whether academic or vocational, or established company training programme in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline. There will be different types of student e.g., Project Controls Apprenticeship, Full time College of F.E., Full time degree in Project Controls or a related discipline.
On successful completion of the programme of learning and experience, the student will be eligible to apply for full membership of the association as MACostE
Graduate Member (GradACostE)
A candidate shall possess a relevant degree or equivalent Level 5/6 form of academic study, is currently working within a cost engineering and project controls or related discipline and is ideally following a company training programme in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline.
On successful completion of workplace experience and continuous professional development (CPD) the Graduate will be eligible to apply for full membership of the association as MACostE
Associate Member (AACostE)
An Associate is someone who has been working for up to 3-years within a cost engineering and project controls or related discipline but may not be following a formal education or training programme.
On further completion of suitable practical experience and continuous professional development or study will be eligible to apply for full membership of the association as MACostE
Full Member (MACostE)
As a minimum, the candidate shall have either progressed from Associate, Student or Graduate member or is applying directly at this grade and satisfies at least one of the following criteria:
1. Have between 3-5 years demonstrable experience in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline
2. Hold a recognised professional qualification (e.g., Relevant Level 3/4 or Higher Vocational Qualification, HNC, HND, Degree) + at least 2-years demonstrable experience in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline.
3. Have attained a position of particular importance or a high standard of knowledge in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline and have adequate qualification and experience in associated research, teaching and presenting of papers and publications.
Routes to Membership
Similarly, if they meet the Engineering Council prior learning and experience criteria, they may also be eligible to apply for registration at ICTTech, EngTech, IEng, or CEng, via ACostE.
A Candidate shall satisfy the Associations Membership Committee that they have held a position of superior responsibility for cost engineering functions for at least six years duration and have been a member (MACostE) for at least five years.
- Alternatively, if the applicant has not been a member for five years, sufficient evidence must be provided to demonstrate that the applicant has made a significant contribution to the art and science of cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline, and have held a position of superior responsibility for at least six years.
- Alternatively, the applicant must provide suitably robust and substantiated documentary evidence that demonstrates an equivalent level of knowledge, ability, original thought and contribution to the art and science of cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline, as can be expected from a person in a more Senior Cost Engineering role.
Honorary Fellow (Hon FACostE)
This is not a grade for which someone applies, it is bestowed on a distinguished person whom the Association wishes to honour. The appointment will be made by the Board of Directors.
A Companion of the Association is a person of suitable standing who, whilst not necessarily personally involved in cost engineering, project controls or a related discipline, has been, or continues to be, of help and assistance to the Association or its members and to whom the Association wishes to acknowledge by granting membership in the class of Companion as an expression of Gratitude. The appointment will be made by the Elected Council.
Alternatively, this level is also available on application for persons who have an interest in the Cost Engineering disciplines and wish to avail themselves of the Cost Engineering network. This category of application will be considered by the membership committee.
A person may not be eligible to become either a corporate member or an affiliate unless they satisfy the requirements of the Bye-Laws currently in force. A similar provision applies for transfer from one grade of membership to another.
If the Admissions Committee decide to refuse membership or transfer normally a reason for this will be given. An applicant can appeal to the Council of the Association for a review of the case and, again, normally any reason for refusal will be given. An applicant who is registered with the Engineering Council has the right of further appeal to the Engineering Council who will review the situation.
For any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org